Township Government - History & Organization
West Windsor Township was established by an Act of the N.J. legislature on Feb. 9, 1797, and the Township was governed by a Township Committee, which had both executive and legislative authority until 1993. In May of 1993 West Windsor residents voted to change their form of government from a Township Committee to a Mayor Council form. The new government was initiated on July 1, 1993.
In the new Mayor-Council form of government the Mayor and Council function as independent branches of government. The Mayor is the Chief Executive of the Township and heads its Administration. The Mayor is elected in a non-partisan election and serves for a four-year term. The Mayor may attend Council meetings but is not obliged to do so.
The Council is the legislative branch. The five members of the Township Council are elected on a non-partisan basis for four-year, staggered terms. At the annual organizational meeting held during the first week of January of each year, the Council elects a President and Vice President to serve for one-year terms. The Council President chairs the meetings of the governing body.
Township of West Windsor • 271 Clarksville Road • PO Box 38 • West Windsor, NJ 08550 • 609-799-2400