WEST WINDSOR TOWNSHIP POLICE DEPARTMENT
20 Municipal Dr.
West Windsor, New Jersey 08550
PHONE: (609) 799-1222
Firearms Investigations Unit
ORI Number: NJ0111300
*** COVID-19 Note ***
Due to the high volume of applications we have received in 2020, there is a substantial backlog of firearms applications within our agency. This includes initial Firearms Purchaser Identification Card applications, as well as applications for Handgun Permits. Between the excessive volume and our obligation to satisfy the investigative protocols required by the State of New Jersey, our average processing time has been extended from 4-6 weeks to 3+ months per application. We are posting this notification in an attempt to alleviate the number of inquiries regarding wait times, which take away from the amount of time dedicated to processing the actual applications. If you have any editing issues with your application (i.e. change of reference(s), updating email addresses/phone numbers, etc...) please email Detective Sergeant Lai at with your request. Thank you for your understanding and patience as we work through the overwhelming number of applications we already have and are continuing to receive.
Please note that some of the below steps have been temporarily modified. You will receive email instructions on how to proceed when we begin processing your application.
The New Jersey State Police, Firearms Unit, has announced the statewide activation of the Firearms Application and Registration System (FARS).
The activation of FARS will allow firearms applications to be created and submitted online, using the following website:
West Windsor Township Police Department ORI Number: NJ0111300
Please note that this system is taking the place of the current application system and no paper application is required. We look forward to a seamless transition and will make every effort to provide our citizens with any assistance and information that they may need.
FARS Application Procedures for Applicants:
Step 1: Applicants must visit the below listed website and review the “Service Information” section of the page. Click on the “Online S.T.S. 033 Form” option, located towards the bottom, left corner of the page. Applicants must enter the site address as it is displayed:
Step 2: West Windsor Township Police Department ORI Number is NJ0111300. Applicants will not be able to complete the FARS online application without the proper ORI number.
Below, is an example of what the website will display after the applicant has entered the ORI Number for the West Windsor Township Police Department: ORI Number: NJ0111300
Step 3: Complete the online application, step by step. Applicants may complete the application using a smartphone, mobile device, laptop, or desktop computer. When completing the application applicants will need the e-mail address of two (2) reputable references. The references can be family members.
Step 4: After completing the online application, a Detective from the West Windsor Township Police Department, Firearms Unit, will contact the applicant. The Detective will make arrangements with the applicant for him/her to proceed to police headquarters. At that time, the applicant will be required to submit a payment. Payment must be made in the form of a check, NO cash or credit cards will be accepted. Please made the check payable to the “Township of West Windsor”.
- Initial Firearms Identification Card, $5.00
- Permit to Purchase a Handgun, $2.00/each
*All new applicants must supply two forms of identification, one of which must be a photo ID. For example, Birth Certificate, Driver's License or Passport. Non-citizens of U.S.A. must supply a copy of a valid Permanent Resident Card (aka. Green Card) or employment authorization card issued by U.S Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). Credit cards are not an acceptable form of identification.
Step 5: Once your background investigation is complete, a West Windsor Township Police Department representative will contact you to retrieve your FID Card / Permits.
*YOU WILL BE RECEIVING AUTOMATED EMAIL UPDATES THROUGHOUT THIS NEW PROCESS
Helpful Application Tips:
- If the applicant makes a mistake while applying, they simply can RE-APPLY. The applicant should understand that all application fees are non-refundable and non-transferable. The applicant MUST utilize the correct ORI for the correct Police Department.
- FARS is taking the place of the STS 033 form. Applicants can apply for all the same options as the paper application form with the exception of Permits to Carry.
- Although paper applications are still available, All Police Departments and Applicants are urged to phase out the paper process for the electronic FARS system. This system has been mandated by the Governor’s Office to expedite the process and provide accountability for the length of time an application may take to process.
- Permits to Carry are not able to be applied for utilizing FARS currently. Future phases of FARS will accept Permit to Carry Applications. The paper application still applies to Permits to Carry.
- The applicant MUST enter their “Official Name”. They cannot utilize simplified versions of their names (Joe vs. Joseph). Changed names or aliases must be entered in the appropriate place on the application under "Additional Name".
- Applicants must enter accurate phone numbers and emails for themselves and their references. If in the event that an applicant needs to supply a third reference, a paper copy of the additional reference information should be scanned into the application and updated in the notes section.
- Family members can be references.
- After the applicant enters all required information, a REVIEW PAGE appears where the applicant can edit all information entered into the application prior to final submission.
- An INITIAL APPLICANT will be able to PRINT OUT their FINGERPRINT FORM at the end of the application, and are directed to do so.
- The applicant is also directed to print both the confirmation page and application at the end of the process. This is for quick reference in the event of an issue.
- No payment is taken from initial applicants by FARS. Only 212A applicants will pay at the end of their online application process. Initial applicants are instructed to bring payment to the police department.
- Applicants will be receiving automated e-mail updates throughout this new process.
- Once your application is complete, a station representative will contact you to retrieve your Firearms Purchaser Identification Card and/or Permit to Purchase a Handgun.
- Please advise your references that the FARS system will e-mail them the reference questions to be answered. Your references can complete the questions using a smartphone, mobile device, laptop, or desktop computer.
Please advise them to complete the questions immediately to process your background investigation.
- The on-line application is applicant driven. Please ensure that you have entered the best phone number for yourself and references as well as the best e-mail address for yourself and your references.
APPLICATION for PERMIT to CARRY a HANDGUN
Request application in writing, addressed to the Chief of Police. A valid Firearms Purchaser Identification Card issued by the Chief of Police of West Windsor is required.